For Immediate Release / Toronto / May 11, 2017
Manulife Releases 2016 Public Accountability Statement
Toronto – Manulife is proud to present its 2016 Public Accountability Statement. The annual statement highlights the ways that Manulife and John Hancock support the economic, environmental and social well-being of customers, employees and the communities in which we operate around the world, as well as our commitment to excellence in business conduct.
“Our corporate purpose articulates what we as an organization set out to do every day: to help people achieve their dreams and aspirations, by putting customers’ needs first and providing the right advice and solutions,” said Linda Mantia, Senior Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer, Manulife. “We believe our greatest contribution to society is the products and services we provide, which offer customers peace of mind, financial security and help when they need it most.”
Highlights from 2016
- Manulife returned $25.9 billion to our customers in the form of insurance claims, cash surrender values, annuity payments and other benefits.
- Our employees and agents volunteered over 107,000 hours at local charities.
- Manulife, our employees and our programs contributed $39.3 million to charities and other non-profit organizations around the world.
- We have reduced the intensity of the greenhouse gas emissions in our real estate portfolio by 24 per cent since 2012.
- We made $9.3 billion in loans to businesses, helping fuel their growth and support the development of the economies in which we do business.
Manulife’s Public Accountability Statement, which includes the Manulife Bank Public Accountability Statement, is available at www.manulife.com/pas
Manulife Financial Corporation is a leading international financial services group that helps people achieve their dreams and aspirations by putting customers' needs first and providing the right advice and solutions. We operate as John Hancock in the United States and Manulife elsewhere. We provide financial advice, insurance, as well as wealth and asset management solutions for individuals, groups and institutions. At the end of 2016, we had approximately 35,000 employees, 70,000 agents, and thousands of distribution partners, serving more than 22 million customers. As of March 31, 2017, we had $1 trillion (US$754 billion) in assets under management and administration, and in the previous 12 months we made almost $26.3 billion in payments to our customers. Our principal operations are in Asia, Canada and the United States where we have served customers for more than 100 years. With our global headquarters in Toronto, Canada, we trade as 'MFC' on the Toronto, New York, and the Philippine stock exchanges and under '945' in Hong Kong.